Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Helping lost pets find home Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Calgary pet licences are your lost cat or dog’s ticket home. Licences give us the information we need to return your pets safely.

Licensing fees pay for all sorts of animal welfare programs in our city. Thanks to pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return-to-owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America. 

News and updates

Tips for responsible pet ownership

Are you ready to welcome a new pet into your family? Do you know what to do if you lose your pet? Do you know how to foster positive pet interactions at off-leash parks? Our videos can help you be a responsible pet owner.

Licences support pet programs

Your licence fees go towards care for adoptable pets, health and education programs – and lost pet family reunions.

First ride is on us

Through the Pet Drive Home Program, peace officers are able to return lost pets directly to their owner’s home when found.

Licence and permit fees

Cats and dogs three months or older are required to have a City of Calgary licence. Learn more about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

Fee description 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026
Male or Female Unaltered Dogs $68 $69 $70 $70 $71
Neutered Male or Spayed Female Dogs $43 $43 $44 $44 $45
All Unaltered Dogs Under the Age of 6 Months at the Time the Licence is Purchased $43 $43 $44 $44 $45
Vicious Animal Licence Fee $300 $305 $310 $310 $315
Nuisance Animal Licence Fee $119 $121 $123 $123 $125
Male or Female Unaltered Cats $41 $42 $43 $43 $44
Neutered Male or Spayed Female Cats $20 $20 $21 $21 $22
All Unaltered Cats Under the Age of 6 Months at the Time the Licence is Purchased $20 $20 $21 $21 $22
Replacement Tag $5 $5 $5 $5 $6
Urban Livestock Licence – Bee Colonies $10 $10 $11 $11 $12
Urban Livestock Licence - Hens $69 $69 $70 $70 $72
Urban Livestock Licence - Pigeons $10 $10 $11 $11 $12
Livestock Emotional Support Animal Permit $69 $69 $70 $70 $72
Temporary Livestock Permit $69 $69 $70 $70 $72

Licensing your pet and more information

You can license your cat or dog online, in person or by phone.


Sign in to your myID account to purchase a pet licence. If you don't have a myID personal account you need to open an account to purhcase a licence online.


Purchase a new license in person

Renew a licence in person

City Cashiers at the municipal building can provide a printed copy of your pet license invoice, renew licenses, and issue replacement tags – if you need to purchase a new license, visit us at:

By phone

Payment over phone: VISA, MasterCard or Amex

Pre-paid credit cards are accepted; ask 311 to transfer your call to Animal Services for help.​​

Can I transfer my licence?

If you sell or give away your pet, you must make an animal licence transfer. This documents the ownership change and lets the new owner licence the pet.

Transfer of ownership must be done in person at the Animal Services Centre.​

Please note that the licence cannot be transferred to the new owner. The existing licence would be cancelled and a new licence would be paid for by the new owner of the dog or cat.

The transfer document is on your licence certificate. If you do not have this document please call 311 and ask to speak to Animal Services and the transfer form can be mailed or emailed.

Fines for false declarations on licence form

Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, as of January 01, 2022, you are required to provide proof of spay or neuter for your pet. If you do not have the proof you can attend Animal Services at 2201 Portland St SE to sign a statutory declaration.

If you make a false declaration about the licensing of an animal you may be fined $500.00.

When does my pet have to wear their licence?

  • If the dog has a microchip or tattoo they do not have to wear their tags.
  • Your cat must have licence tags on if: 
    • they don’t have a tattoo or microchip.
    • if tattoos aren’t legible.

Licensing a new pet or changing your pet’s status from unaltered to spayed or neutered?

Under the updated Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, proof of spay or neuter is required to qualify for the reduced licence rate. After signing up for your license, please email your proof of spay or neuter to Animal Services at no later than seven days from payment to complete your licence registration.

Forms of proof include:

  • Spay/neuter certificate (from veterinary clinic)
  • Veterinary receipt (stating surgery was performed, including the pet and owner information)
  • Veterinary letter (confirming the pet cannot reproduce)
  • Adoption contract (that includes surgery statement)
  • In-person commissioner (statutory declaration by Animal Services staff)

If proof of spay or neuter is not received after seven days of receipt of payment, you will be contacted to pay the difference for the full license rate.

If you do not have proof of spay or neuter for your new pet, you may attend the Animal Services Centre in person to sign a statutory declaration.

Cancel a license for a deceased pet

Please remember to cancel a pet licence for a pet that has died. Use your myID account to cancel a licence online or call 311.

Help us reunite impounded pets with their owners in our Animal Services Facebook Group.

Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw

The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw helps us work with you to ensure that cats and dogs live in safety and harmony with their owners and neighbours.

We advocate responsible pet ownership through five principles:

  1. Licence and provide permanent identification for cats and dogs.
  2. Spay or neuter pets.
  3. Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for pets.
  4. Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
  5. ​Procure your pet ethically, from a credible source.