Development Approvals plan and budget
Development Approvals works with Calgarians, communities and customers to enable building a great city through developing land in Calgary. As a regulatory authority, Development Approvals supports customers with advisory services to help them through all regulatory requirements for land development projects, while balancing customer, citizen, and community needs.
- business owners
- land developers and supporting professionals
- Federal and Provincial departments
- community associations
- school boards
- utility companies
- advocacy and industry groups
Value to Calgarians
- attracts growth
- supports businesses
- contributes to vibrant neighbourhoods
What we deliver
- land use amendments and outline plan recommendations
- subdivision endorsements
- development permit approvals
- executed development agreements
- infrastructure construction permissions
service plan budget
Expected 2026 performance.
Significant development proposals that are approved with a better-than-satisfactory urban design rating
2022 was 25%
Civil engineering designs approved with one or no revisions
2022 was 60%
Technical development application where decision timelines were met
2022 was 85%
Multidisciplinary development applications where decision timeline commitments were met
2022 was 79%
Average customer satisfaction from post-application surveys
2022 was 91%
What we've heard
Customer and industry stakeholder feedback identified the desire for online submission portals and a streamlined application process. Customers want increased transparency and predictability through improved customer service and communication. Providing new and relevant tools and features will improve the quality of submissions.
The service engages Calgarians in a meaningful way in order to balance development opportunities and associated economic impacts with community priorities and preferences. The City ensures rules and standards for development approvals are applied in a consistent, fair and transparent manner that result in quality and safe developments for customers and Calgarians.
From the perspective of Calgarians, Fairness and Quality are key service value dimensions, while Responsiveness, Convenience, and Legislative Compliance are considered slightly less important.
What we're watching
As Calgary's population continues to grow, the demand for housing, employment, and amenities keeps pace.
- Development Approvals monitors the projected application volumes to meet the needs of customers and respond to these market demands.
- Development Approvals has expanded self-serve options and will continue prioritizing enhancements of online services for customers.
What we plan to do
Focus on delivering quality planning outcomes supported by innovative engineering solutions.
How we're going to get there
- Support the realization of development in Calgary, enhance the consistency of application reviews, and encourage greater certainty and predictability for customers by increasing the responsiveness and timely review of development applications. Continuous improvement towards a streamlined applications process, including better ways to track and measure effort along the approvals continuum, and improvements and updates to systems and tools.
- Support quality service delivery by ensuring we have the right resources at the right time to support the changing customer demands and market conditions. This can be accomplished through resource management, volume forecasting and proactive data analysis.
- Improve the experience and interaction of customers and Calgarians with the applications process through enhanced online service delivery that leverages technology to modernize, consolidate and streamline the products offered. This includes products on ApplyCentral, transitioning to digital advertisement, and building a “mobile friendly” development map.