Information | Scheduled system upgrade - May long weekend

Due to a scheduled system upgrade, some applications and documents on may not be available from 5 p.m. Friday, May 17 until 8 a.m. Tuesday, May 21. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Organizations operating horse-drawn vehicles (also known as horse-drawn carriages) will require a horse-drawn permit to operate within The City of Calgary.


To apply for this permit, the applicant must provide:

  • Proof of insurance in the amount of $2 million, naming The City of Calgary as additionally insured.
  • Detailed routing information. All requested routes are subject to approval.
    • All routes must be on residential roads only
    • Shall not pass any traffic signals
    • Cannot pass through any bus routes

Additionally, while operating:

  • There must be a slow moving vehicles sign on the horse-drawn vehicle.
  • The driver of the horse-drawn vehicle must wear a safety vest.

How to apply

Please call 311 to submit a permit application.  If you are outside of the city limits call 403-268-2489.

Permits are issued at the discretion of the Traffic Engineer, as per  Streets Bylaw 20M88.

Horse carriage

Permit costs

$56.65 + GST per route (non-refundable)