City commercial waste collection - maintenance tips
As part of using City of Calgary commercial waste collection services, we will maintain City containers to ensure they are in serviceable condition. If you find that your container is damaged please contact 311.
Cleanliness of the container is the responsibility of the customer. The City provides commercial customers with one complimentary bin cleaning a year.
To help minimize odours and keep your bins tidy, we recommend the following:
- Put material into tied garbage bags before putting into your dumpster or cart.
- For carts, use large plastic bags to line the container to save on multiple bags.
- Put all recyclables loose in your recycling bin, except for bagged shredded paper and bundled plastic bags.
- Properly rinse out your containers before recycling.
Food and yard waste
- Use certified compostable bags for all food waste as the material tends to be wet and can cause odours.
- For wet yard waste such as grass clippings, use paper yard waste bags to prevent material from sticking to bin.
- Dry yard waste can be put in loose in your bin or put in paper yard waste bags.
- Keep the lids closed on your green bin(s). Put up a sign near the bin reminding users to close the lid after use.
Please check with your janitorial service for compostable bag options or you can purchase at your local big box and hardware stores or online.
- Kitchen compost pails are available for bulk purchase when you set up your commercial food and yard waste service. You can also purchase kitchen pails at any big box or hardware retailer.
If you have more questions about bin cleaning and servicing, please contact 311 or complete the online request form below.