Water Interruptions and Disconnections

Water Interruptions and Disconnections

If you are experiencing a water interruption please visit our Watermain and water pipe breaks page.

For any questions or concerns regarding your ENMAX account and water, wastewater and stormwater charges, contact ENMAX at 403-310-2010.

Water service to a home or business can be disconnected or interrupted for a variety of reasons. Please review the list below and if you have any further concerns or questions, contact 311.

Emergency situations

Contact 311 if you need your water service turned off due to an emergency situation.

Disconnection for construction

Major changes to the plumbing in your building require a permit. Disconnection of water service can be arranged when applying for a permit, or you can phone 311 and book a disconnection appointment.

Learn more about permits or visit the Permit Desk on the third floor of the Municipal Building.

Disconnection for demolition

If you are not planning on developing within 2 years of demolition you will be required to disconnect the water service at the main before you are allowed to start your demolition. For planned developments you will have 2 years from the time 311 is called to the time you must have the service disconnected. To turn off the water call 311 and make a "Water Off-On appointment." If you do not disconnect the line as per The City's process The City will disconnect the water service and charge you back for all of the associated costs. The City reserves the right to require water disconnections at any time for high risk services.

Learn more about demolitions

Extended vacancy of property

Water service can be temporarily disconnected for long vacation periods or for rental properties where there is a gap in occupancy.

Contact 311 to arrange for temporary disconnection of water service.

An $85.00 service fee may be charged in the case where there is a temporary/permanent water service cut-off, conditions apply. Inquire when booking your disconnection.

Requesting disconnection - Special conditions:

Property access

A person 18 or older must be present to turn water off and on.

Water Services needs a responsible party at residence when water is turned off or on, at the street, to confirm the valve is working (i.e. when water is turned off at the street there is no water coming into the residence or when it is turned back on that no fixtures in the residence are running).

This is to prevent damage to property, and allow our crews to verify that they are at the proper location.

Disconnection of water service due to bylaw non-compliance

As per the Water Utility Bylaw, a water meter is now a condition of service in the following situations:

  • New home construction
  • Moving
  • Change of name on the account
  • A new account

Service valve operations and repairs

The City recommends that you check your internal main shut-off valve annually to ensure it is working properly in case of an emergency.

If it is in need of repair, you will need to contact a certified plumber and send a request through 311 to have the main service valve on the property line shut off.

Learn more about service valves in Calgary.

Please note

Do not attempt to remove your water meter. Removing a meter on your own could result in a penalty being charged to your account. If you require help contact 311