City Hall School
Citizenship and municipal governance come alive at City Hall School as students and teachers spend a week at the municipal building. City Hall School is a week-long, custom designed educational program for all Calgary students in grades three to twelve and is delivered in partnership with Calgary Neighbourhoods and Campus Calgary.
City Hall School provides teachers the opportunity to meet curriculum expectations through meaningful connections to the real world. The week provides a wealth of opportunities for students and teachers to participate in the public realm, becoming informed and civically engaged citizens. Teachers and students work with City of Calgary employees and meet with Council members as they learn more about City of Calgary services, municipal governance and what it means to be a Calgarian.
Each week is rich with possibilities for innovative learning opportunities. For example, students could:
- Develop a community for the future, or learn how cities grow and change, with the help of City of Calgary planners.
- Explore environmental stewardship with personnel from Water Services or Waste and Recycling.
- Discover career opportunities through Human Resources and the Youth Employment Centre.
- Learn to slow down and look deeply by examining works from the Civic Art Collection or a heritage building on Stephen Avenue.
- Examine social issues with issue strategists from Community and Neighbourhood Services.
2018-2019 City Hall School Report to Partners
Grades: 3 - 12
Location: Calgary Municipal Building
Cost: $1250 per class ($1500 for independent schools) - includes transportation (busing).
Teachers who have been accepted into the program are strongly encouraged to attend "City Hall School for Teachers". This free, in-service assists teachers in the planning of their City Hall School week.
Information and Proposal Writing sessions for teachers are held on a winter evening, and also during Teachers’ Convention. Please check the Campus Calgary/Open Minds Information Session and Proposal Writing form for current dates.
Applications are due at the beginning of April for the following school year. Please check the Campus Calgary/Open Minds website for application information and current deadlines.