Free. Period. - Period equity
Periods are a part of life.
The City, in partnership with the Calgary Public Library and Youth Central's Mayor’s Youth Council, launched the Free. Period. program.
Through this program, free pads and tampons are available in select City and Library facilities.
Improved access to period products
Not having access to period products can affect the participation, concentration, confidence, and performance of menstruating Calgarians in the classroom, in the workplace and in everyday life.
Period poverty affects everyone including families and friends of menstruators, non-binary, and trans folks. That’s why we have free period products in some men’s washrooms.
If you or someone you know needs a pad or tampon, we have you covered at the following locations:
Calgary Public Library locations:
- Calgary Central Library (800 3 St S.E.) – Level 1 Everyone washroom, and Levels 2, 3 & 4 women’s washrooms
- Judith Umbach Library (6617 Centre St. N.) – Everyone washroom
- Forest Lawn Library (4807 8 Ave. S.E.) – Everyone washroom
- Louise Riley Library (1904 14 Ave. N.W.) – Women’s washroom
- Saddletowne Library (7555 Falconridge Blvd. N.E.) – Everyone washroom
- Shawnessy Library (333 Shawville Blvd. S.E.) – Everyone washroom
City of Calgary locations:
- Municipal Building (800 Macleod Trail S.E.) – main floor universal and women’s washrooms
- Alberta Trade Centre (315 10 Ave S.E.) – 1st floor universal washroom and 2nd floor women’s washroom (requires key to access)
- Village Square Leisure Centre (2623 56 St N.E.) – main floor women’s, men’s and universal washrooms
- Valleyview Park (3224 26 St. S.E.) – Women’s washroom (seasonal washrooms reopening in May 2023)
- Pearce Estate Park (1440 17A St. S.E.) – Women’s washroom (seasonal washrooms reopening in May 2023)
Other Partner Locations:
Community Hub – Bowness Community Association (7904 43 Ave. N.W.) – All washrooms
We are working to have more locations added to this list.
The Free. Period. program aligns the Gender Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, Social Wellbeing Policy, Enough for All Poverty Reduction Strategy and Resilient Calgary Strategy.
Free. Period. survey
Please provide feedback about the Free. Period. program.