Biodiversity means abundant and varied wildlife, and strong, healthy natural areas. Calgarians value our rich natural areas and vibrant wildlife. We are committed to promoting healthy urban living while conserving sensitive natural areas and the creatures that share our city.
Creating a balance between urban life and nature
Tools for conservation
Policies and guidelines that lead our work
What we're doing: Biodiversity in action
We signed the international Durban Commitment.
This acknowledges our accountability and responsibility for the health and wellbeing of communities through:
- sustainably utilizing,
- managing and,
- recognizing biodiversity’s role as the foundation of our existence.
Received Council approval of Our BiodiverCity, Calgary's 10-year biodiversity strategic plan and the Biodiversity Policy. This plan and policy build on the City of Calgary Biodiversity Report 2014
- These documents will foster resilient, biologically diverse, open spaces and neighbourhoods for Calgarians, visitors, plants and wildlife.
BiodiverCity Advisory Committee
Creation of the BiodiverCity Advisory Committee.
- This group provides strategic advice on matters affecting urban biodiversity in our city.
- They support commitments and procedures in Our BiodiverCity and the Durban Committment
- BiodiverCity Committee terms of reference.
- BiodiverCity Advisory Committee Council reports