Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Evolving our Workplace Culture
CFD has been actively evolving our workplace culture since 2015.
Our dedicated Respect & Inclusion team works closely with our partners in The City of Calgary to ensure our people have the training, skills and resources needed to have an inclusive and psychologically safe workplace, while simultaneously working to identify and remove barriers to create equitable systems for all by collaborating with The City to implement the Diversity & Inclusion Framework, Inclusive Futures, Calgary’s Commitment to Anti-Racism, Gender Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy and support reconciliation and Indigenous Relations.
Training is an important part of firefighting. In addition to having the skills needed for when we are on a call, our people are required to take regular training to build their respect and inclusion skills, including learning about The City’s Code of Conduct and the Respectful Workplace Policy, CFD’s Inclusion 101 course and Inclusive Leadership for Fire Service Officers.
CFD offers support for our people to work through issues with the Disclosure and Resolution Resources Service - a safe, neutral and confidential service provided exclusively to CFD employees by an independent, third-party firm. We also offer psychological support through our CFD Wellness program.
Serving our Diverse Community
To best serve Calgary’s communities, CFD takes purposeful steps to increase our understanding of the many identities and cultures within the city:
- Seeking to understand and serve the unique needs of Calgary’s diverse communities
- Building cultural humility and relationships with communities
- Conducting active outreach to equity-deserving communities to promote fire safety education and prevention and encourage firefighting as a career
- Offering programs such as Fire Cadet, Camp Courage and Bucket Brigade Summer Camp to provide youth with experiential learning about firefighting as a possible career
- Participating in community events including Calgary Pride, The Nagar Kirtan Parade and National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
National Day for Truth and Reconciliation