Information | Scheduled system upgrade - May long weekend

Due to a scheduled system upgrade, some applications and documents on may not be available from 5 p.m. Friday, May 17 until 8 a.m. Tuesday, May 21. We apologize for any inconvenience.

What to do about damage from storms

Contact your home insurance provider before you do any repair work on your property.

All homes built after February 1, 2014 are required to have Provincial New Home Warranty Registration.

Cleaning up hail damage

If your home was damaged by hail​, please be careful when cleaning up around your property:

Broken glass

  • Wear gloves while picking up glass from broken windows and car windshields.
  • Wrap up large glass shards in paper, and put them in a garbage bag.
  • Double-bag all broken glass put it in your black cart.

Damaged vinyl siding, wood fending, decks, shingles, and other damaged items

  • Watch for sharp edges and nails if you’re picking up damaged materials.
  • Put these in your black cart along with any other household items, like water-logged carpets.

Leaves and small branches

  • Put leaves and small branches in your green cart. If your green cart is full, fill paper yard waste bags, roll the tops of bags closed and put them two feet to the side of your green cart on collection day.

Large branches and trees

  • You can take trees or large branches to a City landfill for composting. Charges apply.

Hiring a contractor

Contractors are required to have a valid City of Calgary business licence and The City has the authority to suspend or revoke this licence. Before you hire a contractor, make sure they are licenced:

  • Write down the business or trade name of the contractor/company, the owner’s name and the business address and phone number.
  • Call 311 to confirm that the contractor has a valid business licence.
  • Call the Better Business Bureau 403-531-8784

Starting repair work

How long it takes to repair, restore or rebuild your home will depend on your contractor’s schedule and what permits you need. Each permit process can be different depending on the nature of the work. We understand this is a difficult time and we will continue to support you as best we can.

Resilient Roofing Rebate Program

The Resilient Roofing Rebate program incentivizes upgrades from standard roofing products to impact-resistant products to protect homes from severe weather damage.

Learn more about the program at Resilient Roofing Rebate Program.

Types of demage

Repairing or replacing

You are considering repairing or replacing:

  • Roof material like shingles
  • Siding or trim
  • Doors, windows or skylights
  • Eavestroughs and downspouts
  • Exterior lighting
  • Furnace, hot water tank, or electrical panel because of water damage, but not changing the layout of your home or basement
  • An existing deck, fence or garage

Rebuilding or restoring

  • Rebuilding your home
  • Restoring your home, but your home has structural damage
  • Changing the floor plan of your home or basement


  • Demolishing your home

Getting the right permits

We want you to have your home repaired as quickly as possible. For most repair or replacement work you will not need development or building permit. Before starting any work on your home, we recommend you call our Planning Services Centre at (403) 268-5311 to discuss your plan.

Your future property assessment

Assessment recognizes the impact that hail damage and flooding has caused to properties and businesses in our city. We will identify the impact of the damage to property and business owners and ensure our 2021 assessment values are fair and equitable for all Calgary taxpayers.

Resources for clean-up and rebuilding


If you have questions about permits, inspections or development applications, please contact the Planning Services Centre at 403-268-5311 or through live chat.