Bylaws related to trees and shrubs

Return to Bylaws by topic

We oversee the maintenance of trees and shrubs located on public sidewalks and boulevards, and enforce the maintenance of trees and shrubs on private property, in order to ensure our communities remain beautiful. Below you will find information on how trees on both public and private property must be cared for.

Trees on public property

Under our Tree Protection Bylaw, the maintenance of trees on public property is the sole responsibility of The City. Our bylaw states that:

  • Cutting, removing, moving or pruning of The City of Calgary trees is prohibited unless City permission is granted.
  • Citizens cannot penetrate the bark or attach any object or sign to trees on City land.
  • Citzens cannot spray City trees with any substance except water.
  • Citizens cannot attach electrical cords or other objects to City trees.

To determine if a tree is a City tree, please call 311.

Fines for violations of these regulations range between $100 and $500.

Trees in yards and on private property

Homeowners and/or occupants must keep hedges, trees and shrubs on their property trimmed so they don't interfere with pedestrians on the sidewalks or vehicles using the street or alley.

Please read the Yard and Perimeter Maintenance brochure for more information about bylaws related to trees and shrubs or other community standards.

With the exception of the laws outlined above, we do not have a bylaw that pertains to the management of trees located on private property. This is considered an issue between the two private property owners. Residents can contact an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) arborist to help them and/or provide an assessment.

Trees on properties with new homes

Owners of newly constructed homes may be required to plant trees on their property. For information on this, please visit our Tree Requirements for New Home Developments page.

Bylaw related to trees and shrubs

Trees and shrubs are regulated under the Street Bylaw under section 68(6) and protected under the Tree Protection Bylaw​.

This page is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.

Filing a complaint

How to file a complaint and what happens to it

To file a complaint about a tree and/or shrub infraction, click on the button below and fill out a Service Request or call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).