Bylaws and permits related to street-use

Return to Bylaws by topic

We govern the use of streets and activities on them in order to maintain traffic flow and ensure safety of our citizens. Below, you can find a summary of the bylaws related to our streets.

Recreation bylaws

  • Skateboards or in-line skates are permitted on most City sidewalks or boulevards unless otherwise posted.
  • Children younger than 14-years-old may ride bicycles on the sidewalk.
  • In cases where a wheeled vehicle is permitted to be ridden on a City sidewalk or boulevard, it must be done in a safe manner that does not interfere with pedestrians.

Obstruction bylaws

  • Keep hedges, trees and shrubs on your property trimmed so they don't interfere with pedestrians or vehicles.
  • Any structure within 7.5 metres of an intersection can be no more than 75 cm high*.
  • Do not place electrical cords, hoses or chains over a sidewalk.
  • Do not place any material in lanes, streets, sidewalks or City right-of-ways.

Vehicle bylaws

  • Vehicles parked on driveways may not block sidewalks or boulevards refer to the Traffic Bylaw.
  • Any vehicle noise measured at 96 decibels or more by a sound pressure level meter is “objectionable noise” and is in contravention of the bylaw. Noise regulations for vehicles can be found in the Traffic Bylaw 26M96.
  • Do not leave unregistered, uninsured vehicles on City streets or lanes.*
  • A vehicle must be operable and moved within 72, hours or it may be considered abandoned and removed as such.*

*This regulation is a part of Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and is enforced by the Calgary Parking.

Related bylaws

The City of Calgary Streets Bylaw and the Traffic Bylaw regulates the use of streets and activities to, adjacent or near streets.

This page contains is an overview of areas of common concern. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.

For more information about bylaws related to streets and other community standards you may read theYard Maintenance Guide.

Filing a complaint

How to file a complaint and what happens to it

If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).