Bylaws related to cats
Under our Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, cat owners must ensure their cats:
- Have a City of Calgary license.
- Remain on the owner's property.
- Do not disturb the peace by howling or crying.
- Do not damage others' property.
- Do not scatter garbage.
- Do not chase, threaten, or attack a person or an animal.
Fines for failing to comply with the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw range from $25 to $1500.
Our Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw regulates pets in our city. This is a brief overview of the bylaw. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
Filing a complaint
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).
Search our bylaws
To find out more information about Calgary’s other bylaws you can search bylaws by topic.